This page provides links to some of my lectures, artist talks and seminar presentations. The presentation below is about a current art project Words for Water, which explores sustainability and water as a theme.
Over the years, I have worked across a range of sectors including arts, education and government. I enjoy finding bridges between these worlds and work to find the benefits of thinking differently across spaces.
I am happy to come and chat to your group about a variety of subjects.
Subjects I am often asked to speak about are:
- Applied models of transdisciplinarity in community context
- Why am I obsessed by maps?
- How can an online campaign change people’s behaviours?
- What does online success look like?
- What the heck is Dorkbot?
- How online activism changed the world
- Place and identity
Here is a selected list of my presentations, contact me if you want the complete list.
Curator, Water Works Water-Wheel – focus on data, the importance of rivers and cultural connections, March 2016
Speaker, Using Data to Empower Community and Build Culture (Prezi), Electronic Visualisation and the Arts Australasia, University of Canberra, March 2016
Workshop participant to invitation only event: Canberra Digital Inclusion Manifesto Workshop, National Library of Australia
Panel chair, “Vanuatu Women’s Water Music”, Gender in the Pacific, State of the Pacific conference, Australian National University
Contributor (with Ian Clothier, delivered by Deborah Lawler-Dormer) ISEA2014 Educational Forum, American University in Dubai
Words for Water, Waterwheel World Water Week Symposium (2014)
Artist Talk, PhotoAccess, Canberra November 2014
Panel discussion, Performing the City, ADA Mesh Cities Symposium, Auckland September 2014
Panel discussion, KM Australia 2014 Congress, Knowledge Border Crossings, Sydney, July 2014
Cross Connections: Linking Art, Science and Identity, School of Music, Australian National University, Canberra April 2014
Words for Water, Waterwheel World Water Week 2014 Symposium (WWWD14)
Invited Speaker, Inaugural Digital Humanities Meetup, Canberra
Panel discussion, ADA MESH Cities, Dunedin (Skype)
Panel discussion, ISMAR, Adelaide (via video)
Curator, Taranaki Tales, dorkbot cbr, Canberra Contemporary Art Space
Remotely Connected, Remotely Creative, ISEA Istanbul
“Dorkbot CBR”, Electrofringe, Newcastle, Australia
Dorkbot CBR, Girl Geek Dinners, Canberra
“Now like no place: no place like now”, ISEA2008
AOIR conference, Brisbane, Topic: Online organising, real world responses, new world consequences
ISEA2004, Tallinn, Estonia, Topic: Wearable experience and textile symbolism (Panel: Geopolitics of Media: Asylum seekers and border crossings)
N5M4: De Balie, Amsterdam. Topic: Online networks and public outcomes in Canberra, Australia (TAZ)
Borderpanic: The Performance Space + Museum of Contemporary Art, Topic: ACT Regional Report
‘Joining the dots: The CAMEO 10th International Conference’, University of Canberra, Topic: Cross connections
- New Media Art, “The Law” and Activism ANU (2009)
- Real Stories in New Media ANU (2009)
- Stardom in Virtual Worlds ANU (2009)
- Cultural Mythologies ANU (2009)
- Real Worlds of Animation ANU (2009)
- Fashionable Communication ANU (2009)
- Who am I? Identity/Identification ANU (2009)
- Virtual Reality: Playing Games ANU (2009)
- Cultural Practice, Part 2 ANU (2009)
- The Internet as Social Space ANU (2009)
- Cultural Practice and New Media ANU (2009)
- Cultural Practice, Recap ANU (2009)